How to Detox Step 1: Get Rid Of Hidden Toxins
Now that you know why you should do a detox, it’s time to get started. The first logical step in any detox is to reduce and/or eliminate your exposure to toxins. There is no point in eating super clean and getting your liver to work more efficiently through vitamins and herbs if you are still exposing your body to all that junk! The most important part of any detox is to reduce the toxic load that is going it. If you skip this step, you are not going to experience the vast benefits of detox. It is hard to eliminate what you don’t know about. That is what we are going to cover today.
Top 5 Ways You Didn’t Know You Are Being Exposed to Toxins
- Conventional Skin Care Products and Make Up- If you have been following the blog for a while, then this one won’t come as a surprise to you! The skin is our largest organ and it readily absorbs toxins (parabens, phthalates, and fragrance) that is found in these products. Choose safe natural alternatives like Eco Chic Movement products
- Drinking Out Of Plastic Water Bottles- Chemicals contained in the plastic leech into the water, especially if the bottle gets warm. These chemicals are well known endocrine disruptors. Don’t be fooled by bottles that are BPA free. BPA is not the only toxin in these bottles to be concerned about.
- Dry Cleaning- Conventional dry cleaners use a cocktail of cleaners including PREC, a known carcinogen. Choose solvent-free dry cleaners whenever possible. Never hang conventionally dry cleaned clothing in your closet, as it continues to off gas. It should be aired out outside or in the garage first. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toxic-dry-cleaning-chemical-is-canadas-top-eco-villain/article566142/
- Cleaning Products- They aren’t so clean! Check out this video from Environmental Defence on the level of volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) in cleaning products http://environmentaldefence.ca/report/the-dirty-truth-how-toxic-cleaning-products-are-putting-canadians-at-risk/ VOC’s have been shown to impact fetal development. Antibacterial products in particular have been linked to pre-term birth.
- Change Your Shower Curtain- Vinyl shower curtains release more than 100 toxic chemicals, including VOC’s. A recent study found that shower curtains bought at Kmart and Target were tested and found to have VOC levels over 16 times that recommended for good indoor air quality. http://www.watoxics.org/news/vinyl-shower-curtains-dangerous-for-health-and-environment
Making these 5 simple changes can have a significant impact on the health of your family. Stay tuned for next week’s blog post where we will cover which foods to include and avoid to help your body’s natural detoxification systems.
Dr Alexis practices in Carleton Place at Healthy Impact Naturopathic. She is currently accepting new patients