Now that you are well on your way to leaning about why we should detox, and the top ways we are exposed to toxins that we don’t even know about, it’s time to talk about food! Food is a critical element in any detox. What you are putting into your system can either benefit or hinder your progress. I am sure many of you are already making a list of foods that will be off limits during a detox, but may not be thinking as much about those superstar foods that will help you get maximum benefit for your effort! Let’s get the tough part out of the way and go over the foods that you will need to avoid during your detox.
Foods to Avoid During Detox
- Wheat- pasta, bread, cereal, baked goods made with white flour and white sugar, whole wheat products
- Diary- milk, cheese, yogurt, cream
- Sugar/Artificial Sugar- all processed sugars
- Processed Foods- most contain processed sugars and additives
- Alcohol- makes the liver have to work harder
- Caffeine- taxing on liver during detox
- Red Meat- very inflammatory, produces toxic waste products
Foods to Include During Detox
- Garlic- Sulphur in garlic helps the liver in phase 2 detoxification, which helps make toxins water soluble so that they can be excreted
- Brussel Sprouts- Also high in sulphur, Brussel sprouts are a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, cabbage and kale. Cruciferous vegetables help to detoxify excess harmful estrogen.
- Dandelion- Yes you heard me right J Dandelion either in a salad or in a tea form. Dandelion helps to increase bile formation and acts as a mild diuretic.
- Spinach- Contains a high amount of glutathione, our most abundant anti-oxidant. Glutathione neutralizes free radicals and helps with the metabolism of carbohydrates and fat
- Beets- Contain betalains which stimulate the production of glutathione and provide anti-cancer effects.
Last but not least is water. Drinking plenty of fresh water helps any toxins that are being liberated to be eliminated via urine and stool.
Are you feeling motivated to start a detox?
In my next blog post I will cover physical techniques you can do at home to increase your detoxifying potential!
Want to learn simple ways to detox when you have small children? Join me September 8th for my FREE Webinar. Reserve your spot, as space is limited.
Dr Alexis practices in Carleton Place at Healthy Impact Naturopathic